Director of Finance
The Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Presidential Center for Women and Development (EJS Center) is seeking an experienced Director of Finance to provide strategic direction and oversight of functional responsibilities, including accounting, budgeting, payroll, grants administration, and procurement. The Director of Finance is a professional with at least five years of experience in nonprofit financial management, ideally with a strong background in grants management and compliance. The Director of Finance will work closely with the Accounts Officer, Procurement Officer, Director of Programs, Director of Resource Mobilization, and international partners. The Director of Finance will also work collaboratively with other department heads, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how finance functions can meet the needs of and support program operations.
The professional in this position will prepare reports and maintain open and ongoing communication with the Executive Team and Board of Directors to enable effective oversight and strategic finance management. The Director of Finance will also work collaboratively with other department heads to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures, and to explore how finance functions can meet the needs of and support program operations.
The Director of Finance is a member of the Operations Team and will oversee the work of the Accounts Officer. This position will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
The EJS Center was founded in 2018 to be a catalyst for political and social change across Africa by helping unleash its most abundant latent power — its women. The EJS Center aims to amplify the voice of women and girls in all spheres of life by increasing the representation of women in public service leadership roles in Africa.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials, and oversee all financial and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process; liaise with external auditors and the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors; assessing any changes necessary.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning processes in conjunction with the Executive Team; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep the senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary organizational policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the Executive Team and to the Board of Directors.
- Oversee the preparation of grant reports and drawdowns, and other financial reports for partner organizations as needed.
- Prepare schedules and implement close procedures in financial system to ensure timely and accurate financial reports for internal and external constituencies.
An ideal candidate for the Director of Finance position believes in the mission of the EJS Center and shares our vision of championing women’s ascension to the highest levels of leadership and challenging systemic barriers to girl’s and women’s advancement. Other qualities of our ideal candidate are:
- Master’s in accounting, finance, or business administration; CPA preferred.
- At least seven years of overall professional experience; ideally five-plus years of nonprofit financial management experience.
- The ideal candidate has experience of responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting, and audit coordination.
- Ability to translate financial concepts to — and to effectively collaborate with — programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
- A track record in grants management for a variety of donors, including government and charitable foundations.
- Technology savvy with experience of reporting and accounting software.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization, and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of the EJS Center.
Work Location: Monrovia, Liberia
How to apply: Please send all CVs and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org
Start Date: As soon as possible
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $60,000 – $72,000.00 a year
Job posted 18 May 2021.