The Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Presidential Center for Women and Development (EJS Center) was founded in 2018 to be a catalyst for political and social change across Africa by helping unleash its most abundant latent power — its women. The EJS Center aims to amplify the voice of women and girls in all spheres of life by increasing the representation of women in public service leadership roles in Africa. Through a unique blend of programming, advocacy, archival research, and museum exhibitions, the EJS Center seeks to become a premier institution dedicated to advancing and sustaining women’s political and social development on the continent.
The EJS Center is seeking to hire an experienced Communications Manager to develop and implement an integrated communications strategy to support its work championing women’s ascension to the highest levels of leadership and challenging systemic barriers to girls’ and women’s advancement.
Position Title: Communications Manager
Position Legal Status: Full Time
Position Location: Monrovia, Liberia (preferable) with a requirement to travel throughout Africa
Report to: Chief Operations Officer
Target Start Date: As soon as possible
The Communications Manager is responsible for creating and implementing communication strategies to raise the profile of the EJS Center and its key stakeholders. The Communications Manager will report directly to the Chief Operations Officer and work with a team operating from multiple locations, including partners, staff, and stakeholders of the EJS Center. The role will include working closely and collaboratively with an external agency for communications strategy and execution.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Chief Operations Officer, responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive communications strategy to monitor and manage media relations and assist in training designated key stakeholders to deliver these messages,
- Managing the design and production of digital assets, e.g., graphics and videos,
- Overseeing media relations, including the drafting and issuing of press releases and the organization of media briefings,
- Creating promotional materials, e.g., brochures, newsletters, and bulletins according to the Center’s communications strategy and standards,
- Assisting with the coordination of EJS Center related speaking commitments and media engagements,
- Staying up to date on events and trends within political leadership across Africa—understanding respective socio-political landscapes to ensure effective crisis communications where necessary,
- Writing compelling remarks and developing presentation materials for key leaders within the EJS Center,
- Managing and developing key performance indicators (KPIs), including setting qualitative benchmarks and clear objectives for the EJS Center’s communications,
- Analyzing and leveraging data to determine trends and optimizing content, media, messaging, and audiences accordingly,
- Managing the communications budget,
- Managing and developing the communications team including staff, consultants and volunteers,
- Performing any other duties as assigned by the Chief Operations Officer.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will fit the profile below:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s or other advanced degree in a relevant field is an advantage.
- At least 5 years’ experience in communications and PR, preferably in the fields of governance, development, and/or gender issues in Africa,
- Proven success in devising and delivering an effective integrated communications strategy, including use of digital and social media,
- Experience with managing external partners, including agencies and other organizations,
- Experience managing a small team,
- Excellent writing skills with proven experience of copywriting for a variety of audiences,
- Demonstrable experience of developing strong relationships with media contacts, especially those interested in public leadership,
- An appreciation of the challenges current and aspiring women public leaders face in Africa,
- International experience is preferred, or demonstratable understanding of cultural differences,
- Experience in government, civil service, or political campaigns highly valued,
- Experience in office administration and communications management.
Skills and Languages
- Excellent organizational and administration skills,
- Excellent attention to detail, with a meticulous approach to all communications outputs,
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to write and speak persuasively,
- Excellent English communication skills (French, Portuguese or Arabic would be advantageous),
- Excellent computer skills, especially proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office suite of applications,
- Confidence in using digital communication tools,
- Confidence in using social media and related toolsets,
- Excellent research and analytical skills,
- Strong understanding of visual design and an eye for detail,
- Knowledge of project management methodologies and best practices,
- Highly collegiate and collaborative: comfortable with working across multiple stakeholders,
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders and partners in different locations,
- Self-motivated, highly organized, and able to meet tight deadlines,
- Ability to execute tasks with confidentiality, integrity and professionalism,
- Knowledge of protocol and government processes.
How to apply:
To apply, submit (1) a cover letter highlighting why you should be considered and (2) CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 17 September 2021. Please quote the position title above in the email’s subject.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted with further instructions.