Request for Proposals
Gender and Development Consultant
To Assess The Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Center’s Strategic Plan and Develop Aligned and Gender Mainstreamed Initiatives
The Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Presidential Center for Women and Development (EJS Center) was founded to be a catalyst for change across Africa by helping unleash its most abundant latent power — its women. Through a unique blend of programming, advocacy, research, and exhibitions, the EJS Center works to advance women’s public leadership and development on the continent. By helping women in public leadership to raise their profiles and advance their careers, the EJS Center seeks to amplify the voices of all women and girls across the continent. Our mission at the EJS Center, is to champion women’s ascension to the highest levels of leadership and challenge systemic barriers to girls’ and women’s advancement. Women’s leadership is essential for creating more inclusive societies where all members can thrive.
Purpose and Objectives
Higher numbers of women public leaders correlates with better health; education; and environmental outcomes, as well as lower levels of corruption, and reduced violence. For instance, across the globe, increased numbers of women in the judiciary correlates with lower levels of discrimination, domestic violence, and better child support and protection. The principal purpose of this consultancy is to review existing internal documents, source and review research on women leadership and socio-economic outcomes, and to make recommendations for three gender mainstreamed initiatives which align with the EJS Center’s mission and purpose. It is also to make recommendations for improving the gender markers of pipeline and ongoing initiatives. Finally, it is to make recommendations for integrating gender equality into all aspects of EJS Center’s work.
Scope of Work
The consultant will:
1. Review internal EJS Center documents such as:
- EJS Center’s Strategic Plan 2021-2023 and other relevant documents.
- Established and pipeline project documentations
2. Source and review good quality qualitative and quantitative data on the correlation between women leadership and improved health; agriculture; financial inclusion; climate change; and education outcomes.
3. Develop and produce documentation for three gender mainstreamed initiatives. These will be evidenced by fully developed concept notes, fact sheets, and gender markers.
4. Make recommendations for improving gender markers which promote gender-responsive norms, behaviours and practices of established and pipeline initiatives. Make recommendations for integrating gender equality into all aspects of the EJS Center’s work. This will be evidenced with a Gender Mainstreaming Action Plan and an accompanying Results Framework template.
The contract will be issued for two months, with a maximum of 25 working days, which can be allocated freely. The consultant will work remotely, with no travel requirement.
The consultant will report to the EJS Center’s Chief Operating Officer with regularly scheduled progress meetings. The Consultant will coordinate the delivery of this work with EJS Center Directors, scheduling regular meetings to gather information and complete the work.
The successful consultant is expected to start early January 2023. The deadline for submission of draft deliverables is February 2023. Final deliverables are to be submitted to the EJS Center Chief Operating Officer, no later than February 28th 2023.
The consultant should demonstrate the following:
- Master’s Degree in a gender-related major, social science, or other related fields.
- 10 years of recent experience in gender mainstreaming in development programme and project design.
- Experience of working with international norms and standards on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Experience of authoring technical papers on gender equality, women’s rights, gender mainstreaming, and women’s empowerment.
- Familiarity with the opportunities and challenges African women leaders face and the socio-economic contexts they function in.
The consultant will be tasked with delivering the following:
- Recommendations for three gender-mainstreamed initiatives, each with an accompanying full concept note, fact sheet, and gender markers.
- A quantitative and qualitatively informed report on women leaders and the socio-economic impact on health, education, climate change, financial inclusion policies at the institutional and national levels; and on agriculture.
- Recommendations for improving gender markers which promote gender-responsive norms behaviours and practices, of EJS Center’s established and pipeline initiatives.
- Recommendations for mainstreaming gender into all aspects of EJS Center’s work.
- A Gender Mainstreaming Action Plan and an accompanying Results Framework.
Please provide a CV, cover letter, statement of your availability during the planned working period, and your daily fee in US dollars to: email@example.com.
Please note that all invoices for professional services will be subject to 15% tax deduction for foreign firms and 10% for local firms in accordance with the Liberia tax code.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply early.